Saturday, September 22, 2012

30 Days of Prayer

So I've been praying and fasting for 12 days now and I feel like God wants me to blog about it. I don't really want too. I'd rather keep it private, but I know God has greater plans, so I'll share with you what I've been doing.
Our Bible study group is doing a book called "Tune In" by Jen Hatmaker. In this book she challenges us to fast as a way to hear God more clearly, she described fasting as a way to make room for God.  I'm fasting one meal a day and I do feel a closeness that I haven't felt before.  Before I had aways viewed fasting as more of a sacrifice that had to be so difficult you couldn't pull it off, no matter how hard you tried. Anyway to say my view of fasting was off track is an understatement.  I feel like I have a better understanding of it now, but I know I still have much to learn.
As I felt God prompting me to pray I knew I would be praying for our children to come home, for them to be safe, for their paper work to be in order, that they would be released. But God has laid several other things on my heart, one is a book called "30 Days of Prayer for the Voiceless".  I've had this book forever, it's been buried in a pile of books on the back of the toilet, not kidding that's where I found it.  I think I'll back track to day one and give you a short summary of what I've been praying for each day.  I hope to give voice to those who have no voice and that as you become aware of the needs that it would cause you to pray and to even reach out in some way to those in need.
Each day it gives a a topic, then it's definition, along with statics, a personal impact story and then a verse from the Bible to pray and a way to act.

Day One
Child Prostitution
This one makes me want to throw up, my stomach turns over and my eyes begin to pour out tears and I know our Father in heaven weeps and groans for these children.  I really don't enjoy knowing all these facts and I'd rather hide my head in the sand and pretend this never happens, but I can't because I have children out there alone and defenceless and I know God is calling me out of my apathy. 
Definition
It is the sexual exploitation of a child for renumeration in cash or kind, usually but not always organized by an intermediary (parent, family member, procurer or teacher).
So in other words these children, mostly girls, are exploited by those who are supposed to love and protect them.  In Thailand, 10-12 year old girls service men in the sex industry.  They typically have sex with men 10-15 times daily, and sometimes as many as 20-30. 
Story
Her family needed food and if they sold her into the sex trade they'd have one less mouth to feed and more money to feed the younger children.  Did her parents know where she was headed?  Some do and some don't, parents are promised that there children will be well cared for, educated, and released after a time.  All of it lies.  Can you imagine being so desperate to feed and clothe your family you would consider selling your oldest daughter?  Hoping against hope that she wasn't going to be forced into the sex industry , but you feel you have no choice and because girls have little or no value in your culture, you go ahead even though you know deep within your spirit you are selling your daughter into the pit of hell.  It happens everyday day all over the world.  It happens right here in America and still we turn a blind eye.
I have no idea how to solve this massive problem, but I do know I must pray.  I must turn from my apathy and tell others of this problem.  We must join forces with organizations that are fighting these problems on the front lines.  We must give them our time, energy, money, and prayers.  These children deserve for us to fight for them.
If you would like to order this book it is, 30 Days of Prayer for the Voiceless, foreword by Loren Cunningham

No comments:

Post a Comment