So if you go for a walk on the streets of Addis Ababa, you better bring you hiking shoes or your mud boots and be ready to dodge traffic all the while keeping an eye on your feet because it is crazy out there. The man holes are "covered" by three long stones some of which are no longer there so be careful you don't fall in because it is a very real possiblity. Walking on the street is also cyrus 's favorite pastime. He squeals with delight waving his hands at everyone passing by, trying to grab anything and everything within his reach.
Cyrus has had some diarrhea yesterday and today. He seems a little better today. He becomes a little stronger and more alert everyday. He is so intent on seeing the world around him that he can hardly stand to go to sleep. He loves to go on walks in the carrier facing outward, of course, waving to everyone passing by, smiling and charming them all. He reminds me of Abe he did the same thing when we got him in Colombia. We are falling a little more in love with him each day can't wait for you all to meet him. Leigha
6. We are here at the beginning of the rainy season, so it rains almost every afternoon and most evenings, it cools everything off and washes the air clean. It is winter here but it is usually about 70 degrees, so not the winter we are used to.
7. People are always sweeping here sidewalks, patios, porches, and courtyards.., but they throw their trash down where ever they are. We can't really figure it out. They have way less disposable trash so its not as bad as it would be in the US.
8. Shopping is an adventure here. No Walmart and there isn't anything similar. Their stores are more the size of gas station, with a fraction of the choices. Makes me realize how spoiled we are.
We will go to the transition home again today to visit Cyrus and hope our letter gets written.
Here are a few things you might find when you come to ET.
1 traffic is like a huge game of frogger, people and vehicles dodging each other with great skill, if its your first time you will find yourself white knuckled and gasping, oh and if you get car sick, forget it, oh and don't forget the fumes enough to make you choke.
2 They have a saying in ET: Americans have the watches but we have the time. So true and good in some ways but not so great when trying g to complete paperwork quickly.
3. The people are quieter here. The street can be completely full and people all around and yet it still isn't loud.
4. Shoe shine boys are everywhere. Your shoes can look like new for 30 cents.
5. its common to see herds of goats running down a four lane street.
I will post some more later as I think of them. Please pray we get our letter today and get to take Cyrus with us.